Friday, October 29, 2010

Going Batty

I don't know about you, but I don't remember having to write a report in first grade. I don't remember exactly when it was, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't this early on. I asked D and he said the same.

Nevertheless, J had his first report due last Thursday. They are studying bats in his science segment and each kid chose a bat they were interested in and wrote a little bit about it. J chose a bat by the name of The Little Brown Bat. He had to turn in some preliminary findings and then the actual report would be written at school.

His teacher was kind enough to send us the grading scale, and I was really surprised to see how much detail she wanted in addition to the writing elements: Full sentences, neat writing, several facts. It seemed a little advanced for six year olds, and I have to admit I was a little concerned to see what J would come up with.

In addition to the report, the kids were also to turn in a visual of their bat. Again, the grading scale was extensive: distinctive features, several colors, habitat. All with one caveat: she wanted the kids' work -- not the parents.

That's all great and wonderful, except that my kid wasn't really that interested in doing much more than a picture, which would have been fine, but you only got one point for that -- if it was a good hand-drawn picture. A computer picture wasn't acceptable. J is good at many things but art isn't one of them so going that route, even one point was going to be hard to attain.

And, to be honest, I really wanted him to reach for more than the easy way out. A model could yield five points and I knew if I did the legwork I could get him excited about doing a project. I was right.

He glued cutout bats, he water colored the background, cut up some felt, and glued the eyes and fangs on. Anything that required the glue gun I did.

He was really happy with the finished product.

He presented to the class two days ago. I was amazed when I saw his scores. He did so well! In addition to his teacher he was also graded by some of his peers. He got the highest marks in almost every category.
The next day was the "Bat Gallery." Families were invited to come in and see all the wonderful work the kids did. This was the first time we got to take a peek at J's report. Turns out I had nothing to worry about, because it was great. There were full sentences, decent writing, and lots of information.
And not just J's was amazing. As surprised as I was at the expectations for these kids, I was even more surprised at how easily they exceeded them.
He looked so proud of his work,


and I love that he's enjoying learning so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment