I had no intentions of buying them. At the beginning of summer I bought her an adorable pair of Nike sandals. She loved them. She didn't notice that they made her feet stink really bad. She wore them everyday with everything. But they were pink; bright pink. And because I'm an old mom, I wasn't comfortable when she wore them with something, say, blue. I really felt that she needed something more neutral for that one day of the week that she didn't' have something on that was pink, accented with pink, or pinkish-hued.
Then one day I was walking through Big Lots and I saw a bunch of Crocs sitting there. Most of them were in adult sizes, but hidden in the back I saw a small pair. A little too big for M, but they were only 10 bucks. She kind of needed something that was easy on/easy off for when she went outside. They were the perfect, leg-lengthening neutral I had been wishing for, which could mean only one thing: They weren't pink! A few minutes later they were hers.
The second I slipped them on her feet I realized they were like a match made in non-stinky rubber Heaven. Like I suspected they were a little too big, but to her they fit like Cinderella's glass slipper.
It brings the whole family great joy that she can slip them on and off all by herself; albeit backwards. And I love that they go with everything she owns.
It's almost time to tuck them safely away in the back of the shoe closet. I've already bought her sandals for next year from the Keen sale at AKs work. Those were 10 bucks too. They're pretty cute. But they're pink. And unless I go backwards in age, say 20 years, I'll be looking for a neutral pair once again. I sure hope I'll be able to go back to the back of the shoe closet and dust these off for another go round.
Backwards idea? Heck no...the best purchase I've made all year.
No comments:
Post a Comment