Saturday, August 7, 2010

Lessons Learned

The weather today called for rain in Olympia so we decided to go somewhere where the sun would shine. Multnomah Falls outside of Portland is about a two-hour drive. Our master plan consisted of getting up early, checking out the falls, and going to Costco to buy both our headboard and the dual DVD player for the kids -- Tax Free. We'd then head over to AK's house to pick up some shoes he had bought for us.

Once my in-laws got wind of this they decided to join us. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little annoyed, and I'd be lying if I said I was surprised. I was just hoping that they would prove me wrong.

Multnomah Falls are the second highest year-round falls in the United States second only to Yosemite Falls back in my neck of the woods. When D was relaying this piece of information to me he said that although they are very popular, they aren't very secluded; that they're kind of there for the world to see -- even if you're just driving down the highway on your way to Target.

Once I saw them for myself I understood. While they are beautiful, I wouldn't call them breathtaking.We hiked a little ways all the while J was bugging about going to the gift shop one minute and AK's house the next. M was just happy to be out of the car.


Up next was Kenny's Noodle House. We'd been there once before back in December and D had been talking about going back ever since. This time, however, both D and I decided that it wasn't as good as we remembered.
J was a little out of sorts today, not unusual when he's around his grandparents. On our way out of Kenny's establishment, he leaned on a table and knocked down all the stuff atop it which caused a loud ruckus that had everybody turning our way. He managed to embarrass my MIL and I'm sure she was glad to say goodbye to us a few minutes later. My FIL, being the educator that he is, saw this as a lesson, one he wasn't going to let go untouched. He was overheard asking J what he learned from the incident. Js answer was simple: "Not to play around on the tables again."
With all of that behind us we were ready to embark on our Costco shopping spree. "The more you spend the more you save," was D's quote as we pulled into the parking lot. We weren't there more than five minutes before we found out they were all sold out of portable DVD players. Another five minutes after that we realized that they didn't have our headboard either. Also missing: D's keys.
I was sure that once he retraced his steps he would come back with them in hand. But he came back with nothing. He didn't find them and nobody had turned them in. And so it went. Costco closed 2 hours later and still no keys.
In the meantime, D called the dealer who said they would be able to make another key, on Monday. He called a locksmith that showed up and unlocked the door but couldn't make another key because only the dealer could. He finally called his parents who luckily were still in the area. J and my MIL stayed at AK's while my FIL drove D, M, and me to Oly and turned right around after picking up the key. It is now 10:50 and they just picked up the truck. What a relief. I was starting to worry that the person that found the key was going to go back and take it.
I think that like J back at the restaurant, we all learned a lesson or two today. Among them:
1) Don't inform in-laws about any upcoming trips to Portland unless you want company.
2) Any "nature" site close to a highway where cars zooming by can be heard is not really relaxing.
3) Just because a restaurant was good the first time doesn't mean it always will be.
4) My set of keys should always join us on long trips from now on.
5) Being greedy doesn't always deem you goods -- you'll probably walk out empty-handed.
6) Don't try to cheat your home state out of its due revenue. Buy your stuff there no matter what the taxes will be.
7) Make sure to inform in-laws of all upcoming trips to Portland in case you need them to rescue you.



1 comment:

  1. Lol, I take it you didnt hike to the top of Multnomah? Sorry about the keys, what an ordeal!

    ReplyDelete