Thursday, September 2, 2010

Tee-Tee for the Memories

Yesterday when I handed M her breakfast she displayed her manners as usual. She expressed gratitude for the blessing of food on the table. And it was a stab to my heart.

Her usual Tee-Tee was replaced with something that sounded much more like Thank You. I let it go hoping it was just a fluke. It's not. The rest of the day whenever she was handed something she would respond with the same two despicable-sounding words.

Like a persistent pain that refuses to go away, the words continued flowing. "Teek-Yu." "Teek-Yu." All day long. Both J and I have tried to say, Tee-Tee to her; me in hopes that it will remind her that when you're not even two it's okay to use sounds and grunts to get your point across. Instead she mimics what we say using her new found words as if to correct US.

She's mastered the K sound and I can't even begin to tell you how sad this makes me. She called her beloved Jay-Jee, Jakey yesterday. Loud, clear, and perfect. She doesn't seem quite as comfortable with this substitution, but it's coming. I just know it.

She'll be two next month and adult-speak is slowly but surely invading her world while the baby vocabulary becomes a thing of the past.

TEE-TEE for the memories, my sweet Girl ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment