Thursday, September 10, 2009

The Bus is Coming, The Bus is Coming !! (We Hope)

11:29....only 36 more minutes until the school bus arrives to pick up J for his first day of Kindergarten. At least that's what I'm hoping. Yesterday, he was going to drive by for a test run and he never showed. We waited outside from 12:05 until about 12:35 when all the kids should have been in school and decided he wasn't coming. Poor J. Each time he heard the rumblings of a big vehicle driving on the street he'd say, "Oh, the bus is coming," only to look and have it be one of the big construction trucks that so often drive in our neighborhood.

Once the waiting was over, we packed in the car and headed for a rare visit to the hands on Children's Museum and met up with friends there. It was a nice end to what seemed like a short but great summer.

Dinner last night, at J's request, was Taco Bell. Although it was bath time after that, we decided that a morning shower would be a better option for his big day. He played on the computer for a bit, we read a book -- The Night Before Kindergarten by Natasha Wing -- and off to bed he went. But then he was up again, crying because I didn't check on him fast enough.

"T'was the night before Kindergarten

and as they prepared,

kids were excited

and a little bit

scared."








We hurried on up and attempt it again with the promise that I'd be back in five minutes. I was there promptly and he was happy. For a second or two. Then I hear the words, "Something woke me up!"







"They tossed and they turned

about in their beds

as visions of school supplies

danced in their heads."








We go upstairs once again and I was able to get out of him that he was a little nervous about school. I reassured him that it would be great, tucked him in bed once again, and told him I'd be back in six...when I returned he was sound asleep.






"Erasers and crayons and pencils galore

were stuffed in their backpacks and set by the door."





And then I cried. I hugged my baby and cried. I don't know why this is such a big ordeal to me. I used to think people like me were geeks. But because I can't beat them, I have to join them.





"In the morning it came --

school starts today!

Would the teacher be nice?

Would they still get to play?"







This morning we went to breakfast at I-HOP, came home for the aforementioned morning shower, got him dressed, and now we wait....11:42.....23 minutes until the bus comes.







"Faces were washed

and teeth were brushed white;

kids posed for pictures

with eyes sparkling bright."







And come it did....eight minutes early! We were just about to put his shoes on when up rolls Dale. With the camera in one hand and his backpack in the other I attempted to run outside to tell him we'd be right there, but as soon as I opened the front door, off he goes. In the meantime, J is outside with one shoe on yelling at him to stop to no avail. M is inside crying her lungs out because we have scared her silly with all the commotion.




So now I'm thinking that he'll be back at the time he initially told me he'd be here, so we sat outside and waited some more with every couple of minutes J chiming in, "I want the bus to come back." However, we were unaware that when Dale turned that corner, he was not to be seen on our street that day again.





"Parents packed snacks

and kids packed in cars

as if they were boarding

a spaceship to Mars."





With his snacks all packed in his backpack, we boarded our spaceship to the school and got there with five minutes to spare.





"The room was all filled with toys,

books, and maps. But where were the beds

for mid-morning naps?"





Dale and his posse followed suit a few minutes later and when I inquired about the 12:05 pickup, he told me that he's long gone by then. Duh. At the mention of yesterday's no-show, he said he did come by our house. I think Dale is missing a few screws, but I guess you have to be to want to transport a bunch of Kindergartners to and from school, right? He's now changed the time to noon.




With all the action this morning, I didn't even cry. He looked perfectly content when we left. And I was perfectly content --more like relieved -- that I got him to school on time and without much to do about why he didn't take the bus. Maybe the crying I did last night was all I needed to satisfy the sentimental side of sending your kid off to school for the first time.



But the stillness of the neighborhood was very evident when we pulled in. It was peaceful and quiet. A little depressing even. It was probably just the contrast to the days of summer when bikes and scooters were among us and the laughter and yelling of children filled the air. Maybe. 1:41...One hour and 38 minutes until we pick him up.




4:04...and we're home. The first day of school is behind us. M and I went to the campus to put him on the bus and race home behind it. I was early and got a great spot, except then I remembered that it gets really busy there and I may be trapped in an abyss of cars only to watch the school bus carrying my kid drive off and no one to pick him up when he got to the stop at home. I pulled out and found what I thought was a better spot. We got out and walked to the classroom right as they were waling out. He had his big-kid buddies with him -- a few kids assigned the task of escorting the little ones to the bus. I left him there and walked to the car and found a bunch of cars behind me. I was trapped....I was almost in tears.




I debated running to the bus stop and yanking him out of the bus, strapping him in my car, and driving home, but he looked so happy to be riding the bus, and after the morning's fiasco, how could I do that to him? Back and forth I went until I said, "Screw it, he's coming with me!" Luckily when I stepped in to grab M, the cars started to move.




I then pulled out of the parking lot and found another place to park, illegally I might add. But I didn't care. I had no idea where the bus would pull out from or which way it would turn once it did and this was the perfect place to stake out the situation. I was right where I needed to be.


Once it pulled out, I was in hot pursuit. We got to the stop right as some kids were getting off. but not J. Panic set in for a moment until I went inside and there he was in the front row....Cheesing.




It was a National Lampoon's First Day of School kind of day, right out of the Griswold's family album, but what a great day it was. I didn't realize how stressed I felt until now that it's all done. I need a Margarita.




"The children all waved

from the door of the school.

Don't cry Mom and Dad,

Kindergarten is cool."






(I appologize for the eyesore this is. I've tried and tried to format it and space it appropriately but it's not working....urr..).

No comments:

Post a Comment