Saturday, March 3, 2012

Science and Ribbons

The school science fair was last Thursday. J wanted to participate. I was kind of at a loss. Neither D nor I remember doing this at his age. We wanted to make sure that he did something age appropriate; that he understood the concept of, and that he could do himself without much assistance from us.

And, we wanted it to be fun.


He decided on a volcano. While D did lend a hand in the putting together of the structure, he was able to cause the eruption.

I have to admit that at first I thought it was a little too easy. I had a big display board and not enough info to cover it. (Disclosure: I did the whole board, but that was the one area where the school had asked for volunteers to come in and help other students.) Once we walked into his classroom and I saw how impressed his classmates were with his model, however, I knew this was perfect for him.

There were plenty of other projects to ooh and ahh about, mostly by the 5th graders who are required to turn one in. Even some of the underclassmen had amazing boards; whether or not they had "extra" help is not my business. I was happy with J's effort and so was he!

The weather put a crimp in the judgement of the K-4 kids. There was a two-hour frost delay which caused that part of it to be canceled. By the time I got there in the afternoon, J had already done his presentation and my neighbor said he did an amazing job. She said he had a huge crowd and explained the chemical reaction like "a teacher."

Though I wish I had been there to see him, maybe it's better that I wasn't. A lot of times, when we're around, he looks over and it's as if he's talking only to us. I'm proud just knowing that he did so well.


In my previous post, I talked about our special Lenten Prayers. On Thursday night J said,


"Dear God, thank you for Science. I had fun today. Thank you for ribbons. I got one. I don't know if you made science and ribbons, but I want to thank you anyway."


God had a hand in Science; probably one in ribbons too. And most certainly in one of his greatest creations: Our wonderful, wonderful J!













No comments:

Post a Comment