Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Prayers

I really wanted J to get into the Lenten season, but I wasn't quite sure what to do. My parents didn't make me give up anything when I was eight years old. I don't remember if they even made me adhere to the Fish Friday rules. And the Catholic Church doesn't require either until the age of ten, I think ~ maybe 14. However, with First Communion coming up in a couple of months, I wanted to do something to recognize the 40 days leading up to Easter.

Since he only plays Wii on the weekends, I didn't think giving up would have an impact. He loves his desserts, so I could have gone that route, but that's the kid's only indulgence on weekdays. There will be plenty of time later on to make him miserable, this year, I was going more for enrichment. That's when I decided that instead of taking something away, I would add something to his daily routine. Because the Thankful Turkey (here) that we did a couple of years ago was a big hit and something that made us think about our day and the blessings throughout, I added an extra prayer to our nightly ritual; a special prayer for someone/something that day.

J is very into saying his prayers, but they're usually the typical Our Father/Hail Mary type of prayers that are recited; doing an ad lib one was a new concept for him. After a couple of days of prompting him, here are some of my favorites:

"Dear God, Thank you for my family. I like them. Please take care of them. Amen."

"Dear God, Thank you for my Dad. He's nice. Keep him healthy and safe. Amen."

And tonight: Dear God, Thank you for M. I love her. Keep her safe. Amen."

Does anyone else see a pattern here? It's almost form-like:

Dear God,

Thank you for (Insert Noun Here). (Insert Compliment Here). (Insert Prayer Request Here). Amen!

M has been in the room a couple of times when he's said his prayers and has added some of her own:

"I like dresses. Thank you for dresses. I like dresses."

And this evening: "Thank you for my bruder. I'm sorry I be mean to him."

Amen, Sister!

No comments:

Post a Comment