Even as a little boy, J had a knack for music. I remember one time while at a friends house, he sat on their piano and started playing with the keys. He looked like a pro. This was back before the days of iPhones, so I wasn't able to take a picture, but I did think to myself that I wish I had a camera to one day, when he was a famous concert pianist, show him his very first time "playing."
Over the years we've discussed piano lessons. He was really excited at a younger age, and then when he was old enough to take them, the interest waned.
M has a little Fisher Price piano that plays music by itself if prompted. One day last summer, I heard the familiar sound of one of the lullabies. And then I heard another. D came in and said, "How sad is it that he's playing the plastic piano? We gotta get that kid some lessons." My response: "I thought it was the piano playing itself." He sounded that good. I'm well aware that doesn't make him a music prodigy, but it really was flawless.
Needless to say, in August the horse trailer pulled up with a special delivery.
This time I did have a camera, and, yes, as I took this picture I said, "One day, when he's a famous concert pianist, we can show the world the picture of when he got his first piano." (And somewhere, the poor guy that delivers these things for a living, rolls his eyes as he hears another starry-eyed mother brag about what the future holds for her genius kid.)
The lessons started on his first day of school back in September. His teacher is very impressed by his hard work and, as I suspected, his musical talent :). And while I won't make too much out of it, the S word has been thrown around. One day, many years from now, we'll see how that actually pans out.
Yesterday was his first recital...he woke up not feeling too well, but when the time came, he brought it:
He's come a long way in four months.
Those first couple of days I was sure we made a mistake. Our home sounded like a haunted house.
No more. That right there was music to my ears.
No comments:
Post a Comment