Monday, September 12, 2011

Never Forget

It's hard to believe that yesterday marked the 10th anniversary of the September 11 attacks on our country.




I will never forget walking out of the shower on that Tuesday morning to news that a plane had crashed into the World Trade Center, and then another. And still two more at the Pentagon and at a random field in Pennsylvania. I will never forget the confusion that followed, not knowing what it was all about. I will never forget Davey D, the DJ of the local radio station, say that it was Armageddon. I will never forget that for the first time in my life I believed it myself.




I will never forget being glued to the television for days on end. I will never forget the devastation, the loss of life. I will never forget the stories, the heroes ~ policemen, firemen, ordinary people doing extraordinary things. I will never forget the members of congress ~ both houses ~ standing outside the US Capitol singing "God Bless America." I will never forget the sense of unity that ensued the days and weeks following. We put our differences aside and joined hands with the world.



"On that terrible day, the nation became a neighborhood, all Americans became New Yorkers."


Governor George Pataki





Ten years later, we live in a different world. A world shaped by the events of that day. It's evident at airports, sporting events, and by the number of flag-covered caskets carrying a brave solider who made the ultimate sacrifice fighting for our safety and our freedom. To them and their families, Thank You!




Ten years later, I still get goosebumps on my skin, a lump in my throat, and tears in my eyes when I hear the National Anthem.




I Love the United States of America; may God continue to bless our great country; and may we never forget.




No comments:

Post a Comment