Saturday, April 30, 2011

About Fairy Tales

Like billions around the world, I woke up yesterday morning excited to watch the modern-day fairy tale that had unfolded a couple of hours before ~The handsome prince, his long-time girlfriend, and the opportunity to watch as an ordinary girl was transformed into a princess before my eyes.



Before heading out for the day, I asked M if she wanted to watch the princess on TV. I had her at princess. Or maybe TV. Either way, she was almost as excited as I was. However, the clock struck midnight on the very excitement as soon as she realized that the "Picess" wasn't of the Disney variety.




My little princess had a field trip to attend at TOP Foods, so shopping bags in hand, I drove her and and her Lady in Waiting on a search for their favorite things.






No shoe department? No problem! Who needs a glass slipper when there's a wall full of glass-like bins filled with candy?





In typical-princess fashion (or maybe just like her mommy), she tried in vain to act like she knew what she was doing in the kitchen. All while her audience looked on from the the big screen above.

After that stressful experience, she walked out into the garden. She planted a seed that with a little tender loving care will become a pumpkin come Fall.






And then it was time to head back to the palace. Because all princesses need their beauty sleep.


In 1981, I watched the parents of today's prince as they wed in a similar fashion across the pond. Back then, I was a 15-year-old girl; a very naive 15-year-old girl who in some ways still believed in fairy tales. I've learned a lot in the thirty years since. I know that more often than not, Prince Charming ~ no matter what form "he" takes ~ isn't going to come knocking on the door to sweep you off your feet. I know that you gotta get those feet wet, your hands dirty, and your heart broken along the way. Most importantly, I know that when you fall, you gotta be able to get up ~ get up, dust off, and go off in the direction you were heading.

Any sensible adult will tell you that our time at TOP this morning was not fit for a queen. It was commoner fodder at best. But I overheard those little girls say to each other over and over, "That was fun." I know that time will eventually fade Ms sense of wonder and amazement, but today, you can't tell her nothing.

She's a Princess. She's beautiful. She can do anything!



That girl has confidence like nobody's business.


My hope is that she carries that confidence with her throughout her life; that just as she planted her seed today, we too can plant one in her as a constant reminder that although her pumpkin is more likely to turn into a jack-o-lantern than a carriage, her dreams can turn into reality, not with the wave of a wand, but with the ability to wave negativity and self doubt away.




I want her to know that fairy tales come in different shapes and sizes.


I want her to know that we all make our own.


I want her to know that I ~ 30 years after the other royal wedding ~ still believe in them.


I want her to know that they do come true.










(On a side note: By evening, her skepticism of the "picess" faded and she couldn't get enough.)





























No comments:

Post a Comment