Thursday, March 18, 2010

Really?

"Really, Pati? Another entry about how wonderful your kids are? Or let me guess, one of them met a certain milestone? Maybe they had another sweet sibling moment together? What is it this time, you show off? Get some new material, already"!

That's what I'm sure my followers are thinking.....and I don't blame them. But I didn't title the blog The Perfect Pair of Boots for nothing. And I really, really have to share this moment.

J just got an invite to the birthday party of a little girl in his class. This is the same little girl that I wrote about at the start of the school year that he was obsessed with; the same little girl who dictated when he could and couldn't sit on the bus with her. As I figured, it didn't last long. I had several conversations with him about how awesome he was, how he had other friends and didn't always have to play with O nor did he always have to sit by her on the bus. I ran into her mom a couple of months later and she mentioned that two kiddos were getting along just fine; that O had asked J to sit on the bus with her and he respectfully declined.

They've since become good buddies. At his birthday celebration at school the kids were asked to say things to J about what they thought of him...we heard silly, good friend, smart, and then O said that she loved him very much. Last Friday we went to Pizza and Bingo Night at the school. The two of them had got on nicely and a good time was had by all.

Fast forward to this afternoon after receiving the Evite. I mentioned to him that he was invited and that it was the same day that Abuelita (my mom) was flying into Portland but that we may be able to make it back in time for the party if he really wanted to go. He said that he did want to go and asked if Abuelita was going to go too. I said probably because M didn't know Abuelita very well and would probably put up a fight about staying with her to which he said, "But O doesn't know Abuelita at all!" I continued by saying that it would probably be okay but that I would call O's mommy and see if it was okay.

He then said, "Okay. And if she says no then we don't have to go either."

Really? This is coming from a child who lives for birthday parties and all that goes with them! Saying something like "and if she says no then she can stay here and wait for us," is more along the lines of what I thought he'd say.

Am I really raising such a considerate child?

Well, no. Not always. There are days that he greatly lacks in that department which makes today's incident all that more touching. Really.

1 comment:

  1. He is such a sweetheart. Really. Good job mama! Oh and its your blog, you are allowed to brag and gush all you want!

    ReplyDelete