Monday, February 22, 2010

Sweet Blessings

One of my favorite times of the day is right before the bus comes to pick up J for school -- no, not because I might get a moment to myself, but because of what has become our special daily routine.

Somewhere between 11:50 and 11:55 we sit in the living room and just hang out. Sometimes we talk about stuff; sometimes we play one of his many made-up games; other times we just sit quietly. What goes on isn't really as important as the time we spend together just the two of us without the pressures of getting his backpack together, his lunch on the table, his shoes and his jacket on. It's our time to just chill.

Once the bus gets here we do the same routine of walking to the door where he hugs me, kisses me, and then it's my turn to return the favor in the exact same order: Hug. Kiss. Next I persinar him (bless him) both in English and in Spanish; and not until then is he ready to walk out of the door and onto the bus.

This is one of those rare, organically derived things that just became a part of our daily weekday lives. We don't' talk about it, but I know we both enjoy the moment.

Growing up, my mom would do something similar to my bro and me. Each morning before we walked out she would bless us and send us on our way. Whether it's done physically as we're about to board a plane back to what is now home or just mentally before she goes to bed, her bendicion continues to be with us to this day. Again, it's not something I think about all the time, but it brings a subconscious comfort to my being.

This last week has been full of a much-needed yet out-of-the-ordinary splash of sunshine so we decided to take our little party outside. I wasn't sure what to expect when the bus arrived as far as our good byes went, but nothing was altered. There were hugs and kisses on both ends and the international dose of blessings. He wasn't shy or embarrassed by our antics. It was the most normal thing in the world for him.

A couple of nights later, D took over the usually divied-up bedtime routines. I normally get M; he, J. After he came back downstairs he told me that when he walked M into the bonus room to say good night to J, he blessed her -- both in English and Spanish -- and he asked if this is something he usually does. It isn't, but he probably figures I do it each night before putting her to bed as I do to him.

Did he think that because I wasn't the one taking her to bed that night she wasn't going to be blessed??? That was the only thing that swayed from the norm and the only logical explanation I can muster. Even D was touched by the small gesture of the loving big brother.

Sweet blessings like this -- literal or not -- may or may not last forever.

Sweet blessings disguised as little boys not being embarrassed just to be seen with mom let alone hug, kiss, and engage in some awkward gesture while his friends look on, won't.....

1 comment: