Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Random Things

About a year ago this was going around on Facebook. It seemed dumb at first, but then I started to read some of them and they were fun, so I fell for it and authored one myself. It described me in a nutshell at that time in my life.

I don't know that my kids will ever have access to my FB page and for that reason I decided to make it an entry so they could see what their mom was thinking in January 2009.


25 Random Things About Me

I received this a couple of times and I wasn't going to do it, but after reading some of the others, it was a really fun way to learn more about my friends especially since many of you I just met in the last year or so. Even those of you that have known me for years will probably learn a thing or two about me and I hope to do the same once I read your entries.

1) I was born in East Los Angeles and was surrounded by Spanish-speaking people. No matter where we went and what race they were, they spoke Spanish. It wasn't until I was about five that I realized the whole world didn't speak Spanish in addition to English. My parents didn't get out much I guess. :)

2) When I was 10, we moved to Sacramento, CA. Probably because we were always in the little bubble that is East LA and the fact that it's a mostly Catholic population, I had never known anybody that was divorced before that move. I was baffled by the number of kids whose parents were no longer together.

3) Because of my time in Los Angeles, I've been to Disneyland tons of times. The last time I counted (many years ago) it was almost 30 -- I'm sure by now I've probably reached that point. I loved it then, and I love it now, and I can't wait to take J and M.

4) When I was little, we went to Mexico two times a year to visit my maternal grandparents. Even when I was in school, my mom would pull us out for two weeks to go. It probably didn't do me any good academically, but it did wonders for my childhood. I have great memories of hanging out on the farm with my grandfather. He taught me how to milk a cow and ride a horse. My grandmother taught me how to break a chicken's neck and make chicken soup. They both died when I was way too young. I'm thankful for those times together and the awesome stories left to tell.

5) I never met my paternal grandmother, she died when I was about a month old. Many years later, when I was an adult, I went to the cemetery in the little town where she died and found her burial site. I sat at her grave and let the tears flow. I never thought I could cry so much for a woman I had seen only in pictures. It made me aware of how deep the bonds of family are rooted within us and I'm grateful to my parents for instilling that in me at a very young age.

6) On a much lighter note, I'm a sucker for lip glosses, animal prints, and Law & Order reruns.

7) I love to read. My two favorite books are 100 Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez and Star by Danielle Steele. The spectrum is wide. I eagerly wait for a new James Patterson book to hit the shelves so I can go out and get it.

8) I've been in seven car accidents (none of which I was the driver) where there have been serious injuries, and by the grace of God I've walked away with only a few scrapes and bruises.

9) I've been lucky enough to do some pretty cool things in my life, among them: watched the running of the bulls in Pamplona, Spain and slept outdoors alongside thousands and thousands of people; watched the space shuttle launch; got lost in Paris -- three nights in a row -- rode the train from Rome to Amsterdam with a handsome Italian boy and engaged in hours of pasted conversation in Italian (which I don't speak), Spanish, and English (which he didn't speak.)

10) I may be the only person in the world who doesn't think the Grand Canyon is that cool.

11) One of my biggest regrets is not getting my BA.

12) I never longed for children of my own. Of course, now that I have them, it goes without saying that I wouldn't trade them for anything; however, I am not one of those moms that say, "I don't remember what I did before them." I DO remember, and I miss it sometimes. :)

13) Even once I had children, I never thought I'd be a stay-at-home mom. This "job" just fell onto my lap when we moved to WA and I didn't pass the court-reporter examination. I know that it is the hardest and most important job that I will ever do. And while there's still the occasional day when 7-Eleven is looking pretty appealing, I think I'm finally getting this mommy thing down. I'll eventually take the exam again, pass, and venture back into the working world. I feel very lucky to have that option.

14) I have moved three times in the last seven years: Sacramento to Phoenix; Phoenix to Germantown, Maryland; Maryland to Olympia. I love the Pacific Northwest.

15) I am obsessed about keeping the house clean...doesn't always happen, but the obsession is there. I like to joke that there's medicine for my condition.

16) I love the "idea" of scrapbooking. I have a closet full of scrapbooking supplies. When I do make a page, I love it... Okay, I'll say it: I think I'm pretty good at it, but I hardly ever do it. I am so behind...at this point I may never get caught up.

17) I have no athletic abilities. I hate to exercise but feel really good after I do. I don't have the best of eating habits. I drink very little water. I have about 20 pounds to go before getting back to pre-baby weight and have no doubt that I'll lose them but please don't ask me how because I have no idea. :0

18) I like old school rap music. I nixed having a band at our wedding because I didn't think they'd get the rap songs down. I had a DJ instead. My wedding was so fun. The dance floor was packed all night. I have no regrets.

19) Speaking of weddings, I refused to let Dennis see me before walking down the aisle. I didn't care that the photographer always took pictures of the couple beforehand. I will never forget the look on his face when I walked in. To this day it brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it.

20) I believe that nothing lasts forever-- good or bad. Enjoy the good times and ride out the bad ones any way you know how. One of my favorite sayings: When you are down to nothing, God is up to something.

21) I was petrified to have a girl. I felt like the weight of the world was on me to show her the way. Now that she's here, the fears have been replaced by inspiration. She inspires me in a way that no one ever has. Her smile melts my heart.

22) I am very proud of the two men in my life: D for his work ethic and for being a great dad, and J for the little man he's becoming. He makes me smile every single day. It's an honor to hold the titles of wife and mommy to those two.

23) I've been blessed with a wonderful life. I try to remind myself of that every day.

24) I admire my mom more than anyone. She is one of the smartest people I know. She is selfless, strong and beautiful. She is my rock.

25) This was pretty fun. I can keep going and write another 25 things if anyone is interested. :)

As I read it now, I think that maybe learning that not everyone spoke Spanish at five was a bit of an exaggeration. I may have been about three or four....but seriously, there was some Chinese folks who owned the corner store down the street from my house and they spoke great Spanish.

And sadly, I have to add another accident to the seven that I wrote about, Both J and M were with me when we were rear-ended, but we walked away okay, albeit, with some lingering backache. I'll survive. Once again, thank God.

Other than that, it's right on.

No comments:

Post a Comment